Web Server Environment
CS-Cart is developed to meet most server configurations, ranging from shared hosting accounts to dedicated servers.
There are two core requirements for your host to run CS-Cart:
1. PHP version 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, or 5.6. We recommend PHP 5.6 for CS-Cart/Multi-Vendor 4.3.x.
PHP 7 is supported starting with CS-Cart/Multi-Vendor 4.3.6.
2. MySQL version 4.1 or higher (MySQLi or pdo_mysql should be supported).
We recommend a Unix-like operating system for your server, such as FreeBSD, Linux, or OS X. These systems are scalable, more secure, and offer better performance.
CS-Cart is compatible with almost every server that supports PHP and MySQL. However, we recommend Apache or Nginx as the most robust and stable servers for your web store.
Server Configuration Requirements
- safe_mode PHP directive should be disabled.
- file_uploads, allow_url_fopen PHP directives should be enabled.
- magic_quotes_gpc, magic_quotes_runtime, magic_quotes_sybase PHP directives should be disabled in PHP 5.3 (ignore this if you have PHP 5.4 or higher).
- Either GD or Imagick PHP extension must be installed. These extensions are used for image manipulation, such as creating thumbnails, applying watermarks, etc. We recommend Imagick, because it offers much better quality of the processed images.
GD is included in PHP, however PHP should be compiled with the --with-gd flag. For detailed installation instructions please refer to the official PHP documentation.
Please make sure your GD configuration includes the FreeType font library.
We strongly recommend using at least ImageMagick 6.9.3-10 or higher, as it includes a critical vulnerability fix. ImageMagick 7 is not supported yet.
- cURL support should be enabled. You need this PHP extension to ensure support of secure connections, some payment systems such as PayPal and Authorize.Net, and real-time shipping rate calculators for FedEx and DHL/Airborne.
- Phar extension should be enabled (built into PHP since v5.3.0).
- ZipArchive extension should be enabled (built into PHP since v5.2.0).
- .htaccess file (if supported)
CS-Cart Architects Team Recommends This
- Use a virtual or dedicated private server instead of a shared hosting; this allows for smoother upgrades.
- Install and enable Openssl PHP extension to generate more secure session keys.
- Install Redis or APCu and set it as a CS-Cart cache backend.
- Install OPcache.
- Install the mod_deflate Apache mod.
Compatible Hosting Providers
As you can see, the requirements for the web server environment are quite typical. Thousands of hosting providers meet them. But if you can’t decide on the hosting for your web store, please consider a compatible hosting provider. We recommend ProISP.